About PI Summit
Planning for Pathology Informatics Summit 2019 is the product of more than 40 cumulative years of experience in providing continuing medical education in pathology informatics. Its predecessor conferences were: (1) AIMCL, held in Ann Arbor from 1983 to 2003; (2) APIII held in Pittsburgh from 1996 to 2009; and (3) Lab InfoTech Summit, held in Las Vegas from 2004 to 2009. A decision was made in 2010 to merge these events into a single, larger event, bringing together their directors and staff under the sponsorship of the Department of Biomedical Informatics, University of Pittsburgh, and the Association for Pathology Informatics, API. This first merged conference, Pathology Informatics 2010 was held in Boston, Massachusetts in September 2010, the second in Pittsburgh in October 2011, the third in Chicago in October 2012, and back to Pittsburgh beginning in May 2014.
The dates for Pathology Informatics Summit 2019 are May 6-9 in Pittsburgh.
Pathology Informatics, a subdiscipline of pathology and clinical laboratory medicine, is growing rapidly. In recognition of this fact, we offer registrants to PI Summit 2019 three workshops on the first day and two tracks on the subsequent two and one-half days. The two tracks are the following: (1) Research Informatics and (2) Applied Pathology Informatics, including Digital Pathology. These two tracks are punctuated by plenary lectures to the whole group by noted pathologists and scientists.
We view the role of the exhibitors at PI Summit 2019 as essential to the learning mission because they serve as partners in the deployment of new technology to support the mission of pathology and the clinical labs. Because the training of pathology residents and fellows in pathology informatics is essential to our mission, we have also taken special efforts to award travel grants to them in programs across the country and encourage pathology program directors to view the PI Summit 2019 experience as an “away rotation” for such trainees. Special discounts on the registration fees are offered to them as well as to API and HIMA members.
Who Should Attend?
Pathology Informatics Summit 2019 is an annual educational conference designed for world-wide collaboration, technology and learning to come together in one meeting place.
PI Summit 2019 offers direct interaction with physicians, researchers, residents and graduate students, Industry-related developers, engineers, imaging informatics professionals, vendor representatives and many others interested in how informatics and imaging are transforming pathology,
- Comprehensive and focused view of pathology informatics: no comparable meetings in the country.
- Two parallel tracks: Research Informatics and Applied Pathology Informatics including Digital Pathology.
- Three workshops: Comprehensive Informatics Review, HIMA Imaging Science, and Digital Imaging workshop sponsored by the DPA
- Wide variety of IT exhibitors: all tables and booths in a single large ballroom.
- Short abstracts with podium presentations selected from competing abstracts.
- Mixture of learning formats: lectures, panel discussions, "town hall" sessions.
- Travel fellowships: available to pathology residents and fellows.
- Elegant conference space and room accommodations at the Wyndham Grand Downtown Pittsburgh, one of the finest hotels in the center of downtown Pittsburgh.
Overall Conference Objectives
- Present practical and emerging solutions for automated information and image management in pathology and the clinical laboratories.
- Describe how workflow in the clinical laboratories and pathology can be supported and enhanced by new software and hardware solutions.
- Understand the various software and hardware products available in the clinical laboratory and pathology market by interacting with a large number of exhibitors.
- Present new research in pathology informatics on the basis of submitted competitive scientific abstracts.
- Provide a forum for basic pathology informatics instruction for house officers and fellows in pathology training programs.