Leads and manages resources and processes by which all lab-related information systems technology and applications are designed, planned, tested, implemented, and maintained, including systems primarily focused on supporting internal lab operations (Sunquest/CoPath), and systems primarily focused on supporting external users to access lab support and information (EPIC). Collaborates with the EPIC leadership team and is integrated into the organization- level strategy to ensure lab activities and support are integrated into the organization’s strategic and tactical planning, resourcing, and implementation of information systems. Works closely with Patient Billing and Revenue Cycle to establish, manage, and maintain systems and processes that ensure accurate, comprehensive, and compliant billing for all laboratory services, in accordance with current organizational-level payer agreements, Children’s policies, and relevant accrediting and regulatory agencies.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Represents the laboratory in organization-wide IS initiatives to help plan, design, implement and operate all IS systems and functionality that includes ordering lab tests and accessing lab data for the purpose of diagnosing, treating, and managing patients. Serves as a member of the IS&T groups that strategize, plan, design, test, implement, and validate the lab portion of all IS&T implementations. Leads and manages the Lab-related EPIC interface and integration to support standard lab orders, reporting, and convenience to users, including all new implementations as well as remediation of existing Epic implementations. Works closely with lab leadership and the Pathologist Informaticist to achieve those tasks.
2. Maintains current level of support and develops new applications, as needed, for the Lab Information Systems (Sunquest & CoPath) to support clinical laboratory operations, including, but not limited to, building tests, building and implementing new interfaces, implementing new Sunquest & CoPath functionality and modules, and extracting the utility from the system required for efficient lab operations.
3. Using QlikView and other tools available in Sunquest and Epic, and in collaboration with Children’s Business Intelligence department, develops, implements, trains or arranges for training, and propagates the appropriate use of such tools and systems as required to support retrieval of lab data.
4. In collaboration with lab technical leadership, establishes, leads and manages those activities performed by technical staff that impact on the lab’s ability to document patient activity and lab services required to generate accurate, and prompt billing, in compliance and in concert with related departments, including Managed Care, Revenue Cycle, Patient Financial Services, Patient Access, and Finance. Works with the lab’s technical leadership to develop and ensure staff comply with processes that will support clean, accurate, prompt, and efficient billing, including accurate patient/specimen registration, recording of services provided to outside clients, timely and appropriate insurance verification, and knowledgeable review of invoices sent by Children’s lab to outside clients.
5. Works closely with lab technical leadership, supply chain, sourcing, and accounts payable, to facilitate prompt payment of bona fide bills for lab information system-related equipment and activities.
6. In collaborations with the lab and IS&T leadership, develops a strategy for the updating and, if appropriate, replacement, of the lab information system in a manner and timeline compatible with lab & IS&T strategic objectives and overall CHOA mission & strategy.
- Demonstrates competence as described in the Performance System.
- Responsible for monitoring and ensuring compliance with all regulatory requirements, organizational standards, and policies and procedures related to area of responsibility.
- Responsible for identifying potential risk areas within area of responsibility and for supporting the problem resolution process.
- Responsible for maintaining records of compliance activities and reporting compliance activities to the Compliance Office.
- Practices proper safety techniques in accordance with hospital and departmental policies and procedures. Immediately reports any mechanical or electrical equipment malfunctions, employee/patient/visitor injuries or accidents, or other safety issues to supervisor or Compliance Office.
- Provides excellent service routinely in interactions with all customers, i.e. coworkers, patients, visitors, physicians, volunteers, etc.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as required.